Last Updated: September 1, 2021
LABORATORY PRIVACY OFFICER
Berkeley Lab has appointed an internal Privacy Officer for you to contact if you have any questions or concerns about Berkeley Lab privacy policies or practices, or in case you would like to exercise your privacy and record access rights.The name and contact information for the Privacy Officer are as follows:
Privacy Officer and Sr. Counsel, Privacy & Cybersecurity
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road Mailstop M/S 50B2232
Berkeley, CA 94720
ABOUT THIS NOTICE
This notice applies to information collected from visitors of Berkeley Lab who will be present on site for a brief period of time, such as to attend a conference. This notice does not apply to members of our workforce or to those who engage with our web content. We have developed other documents that describe our privacy policies and practices with respect to information collected:
- Through our websites and social media platforms (see our “Web Privacy Notice”); and
- Employees and Affiliates (see our “Workforce Privacy Notice”).
Additionally, the Department of Energy has published Systems of Records Notices ("SORNs") on the Federal Register. These SORNS are made publicly available online on the Federal Register website under the document citation 74 FR 993.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND PROCESS
Berkeley Lab limits the collection of personal information to what is relevant and necessary to accomplish its lawful purposes. When you seek to visit Berkeley Lab, you will be asked to provide personal information in connection with your visit. When you request a tour or engage in visiting the laboratory, we collect information related to your visit as described below.
From You. We may collect certain information from you when you provide it to us directly to support your request for a tour, attendance at a conference, or will be present on site including the below:
- Personal identity and contact information, including your name, email address, and phone number so that we can verify your identity or communicate with you about your visit.
- Vehicle License Plate Number (optional), in connection with a request for a temporary parking pass.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Information, including information contained in documents qualifying as proof of vaccination (such as your vaccination card). Typically, this includes your name, vaccine type, manufacturer, lot number, and expiration date, site of administration, name and title of person administering vaccine, and Address of the facility where the record of administration will reside. We collect this information to comply with University policies and local rules related to workplace environmental health and safety.
- Conference Attendance information, such as the organization with which you are affiliated, your business title, attendee type (such as whether you are a student and/or a researcher), certain preferences (including dietary or event attendance).
- Citizenship and Nationality, so that we can conduct restricted party screens or otherwise comply with federal laws and regulations (including Department of Energy directives and export control regulations).
- From Your Browser or Device (while connected to the LBNL Guest network). LBNL makes available for guest use an open wireless network (lbnl-visitor). This is not a private connection. Information transmitted through our visitor network may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected, and disclosed consistent with Laboratory policies and to the extent permitted by law.
- While on the Premises. LBNL has deployed Closed-Circuit Television (“CCTV”) and facility access badge readers across the laboratory. While on or around Berkeley Lab premises, images of you and your vehicles as well as your ingress-egress into certain facilities or areas will be captured by these systems primarily for security purposes.
SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Berkeley Lab will only share identifiable personal information with those who have a legitimate need for it. Whenever we permit an internal or external party to access personal information, we will make sure that the personal information is used in a manner consistent with this Web Privacy Statement as stated below.
Berkeley Lab only internally shares the minimum necessary amount of personal information reasonably necessary for carrying out business functions. Similarly, internal sharing within the University of California only happens with properly designated officials with appropriate need-to-know and consistent with University Policy.
Berkeley Lab shares your information with external entities as follows:
The California Information Practices Act and the Freedom of Information Act protect your rights as to information about you which Berkeley Lab may maintain. These rights include:
- To confirm whether Berkeley Lab processes information about you;
- To request that your records be amended, updated, or corrected;
- To request copies of your information.
Please note that Berkeley Lab must preserve its records consistent with both University of California and Department of Energy record retention obligations. Also, please note that the laws of your jurisdiction may grant you further rights as to information about you. Berkeley Lab’s ability to fulfil requests based on those rights is limited by its own legal obligations arising under California or Federal law.
- Security. The security of personal information is important to us. We implement reasonable security protections designed to prevent misuse of personal information, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards tailored to protect information against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that a security incident will never impact personal information. Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any security issues relating to our Websites by contacting [email protected].
- Retention. We will keep the information we collected as described in this Website Privacy Notice only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purposes we have collected it, to meet our legal obligations (including meeting preservation obligations set by law), to resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or to fulfill your request to unsubscribe from specific mailing lists. Consistent with our legal obligations, when the information is no longer needed, we will destroy or de-identify it.
- Children. LBNL websites are not intended to collect or use any personal information from children who have not reached age of majority in their state or country of residence. LBNL does not knowingly allow children to use its online services. If you believe or suspect that a child of whom you are the parent or legal guardian has provided us with personal information, please contact us to address the issue.
- Third-Party Links. Our Websites may contain links to third-party websites. This Privacy Notice does not apply to the linked websites and we do not control the content or privacy and security practices of those websites. Any personal information you provide to a linked site is provided directly to a third party and is subject to such third party’s privacy notice.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
LBNL reserves the right to amend this privacy statement from time to time to reflect technological advancements, legal and regulatory changes, and LBNL’s practices, subject to applicable laws. If privacy practices change, LBNL will provide notice of such changes by updating this notice. It is your responsibility to check this Notice frequently to view amendments. Interactions with LBNL via Website or Third Party Websites will be subject to the then-current Privacy Statement.