LDRD 2014 Materials
A call for proposals for FY14 LDRD projects has been announced with a deadline of March 11.
LDRD projects represent the only flexible resources at MSD's disposal, and a limited number of awards will be made to the most creative, innovative science that is not an extension or expansion of an existing project, and that aligns with Berkeley Lab's mission and MSD's science priorities.
This year, we will use a new format for guiding the proposal process in MSD, and reviewing and prioritizing proposals. MSD will hold a public LDRD Workshop on February 11 from 2-5 pm in 66 auditorium, where PIs will present their LDRD ideas in 2-3 slides to a Review Panel of LBNL PIs. The Review Panel's feedback will help to down-select and encourage a strategic subset of revised, high-impact proposal ideas for formal submission by the March 11 deadline.
Since a DOE call associated with BES's Mesoscale Initiative is possible this calendar year, and because there is room for growth in the Lab's portfolio in NGLS-related materials science, MSD would like to especially encourage and prioritize multidisciplinary LDRD ideas in the following broad areas: mesoscale science, ultrafast materials science, and advanced x-ray imaging of materials.
Similar to last year, all prioritized LDRD proposals from MSD will be reviewed at the "Area level" before a final selection process involving the Lab Directorate. Thus we encourage that, in formulating your LDRD proposal ideas, you consider involvement, where natural and appropriate, of other Divisions within our Energy and Environmental Area, i.e. Chemical Sciences, EETD, and Earth Sciences. Finally, in developing your ideas, please consider how they might leverage the LBNL environment and make use of the ALS, NERSC, NCEM, and the Molecular Foundry.
- February 1 Tentative title to Meg Holm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- February 11 MSD LDRD Workshop, 2-5 pm in 66 auditorium
- February 18 Feedback to PIs; green light for submission
- March 11 LDRD submitted by Sally Nasman
- All-Hands Meeting slides [Download PDF]
- Opportunities for Mesoscale Science, Sarrao and Crabtree slides [Download pptx]
- Opportunities for Mesoscale Science, Hemminger slides [Download PDF]
- BES Mesoscale Science Report [Download PDF from BES website]
- MSD Science Initiatives & NGLS [Download pptx]
- NGLS LDRD for MSD [Download pptx]
- NGLS LDRD Overview [Download PDF]
- NGLS Science Case [Download PDF from NGLS]
- BES Photon Report [Download PDF from BES website]
- Applications of New DOE National User Facilities in Biology [Download PDF]