LBNL Laser Safety Points of Contact
- Go here to find out who's the laser safety expert for your building.
What You Need to Do to Operate a Class 3B or 4 Laser at LBNL:
- Update your Job Hazards Analysis (JHA) at least annually.
- Note: this does not apply to visitors and guests (e.g. external ALS users) who do not need a JHA
- Required Training:
- EHS 302 Laser Safety Training, and taken every three years for Laser Safety Retraining; available online
- On the Job Training — provided by PI/supervisor or designee & must be documented
- For Communication Fiber Optic Users EHS 300 is required, contact LSO to schedule class
- A laser eye exam is required for using a laser at LBNL. Users have 60 days in which to complete the exam.
- Activity Hazard Document (AHD) – This is a formal authorization and a safety document that describes the hazards of, and controls for the lasers in your work area. Your PI is responsible to ensure its preparation. You must read and understand it and you are required to comply with its provisions. AHDs are renewed annually.
- Lasers must be entered into the Laser Inventory.
On-line Eyewear OD Calculator (Contact the Laser Safety Officer before buying eyewear)
Eyewear for Short Pulse Lasers
- SELECTING EYEWEAR FOR SHORT PULSE LASERS, Johnny Jones, Laser-Professionals, Inc, March 22, 2006.
- "Reliability of Laser Safety Eye Wear in The Femtosecond Regime," Lenne, Fiedler and Spielmann, Optical Society of America 5 April 2004 / Vol. 12, No. 7
Enclosures, Barriers, Commercial sources
- Kentek Curtains & Enclosures
- Laser Safety Systems (interlocks)
- Rockwell Laser Industries
Laser Safety Tools
- Flashing LEDs- obtain from LSO
- Beam Blocks- Newport & Kentek
- Beam dumps- Newport & Kentek
- Shutters- nmLasers
- Laser Curtains
- Rockwell laser Industries
- Remote viewing ccds
- IR viewers
- Viewing Cards
Laser Safety examples from your Peers
LBNL Laser Safety Signs and Labels
Click here to download laser hazard warning signs and labels that you can modify for your specific application. These are created in PowerPoint.