Quick Start Guide
Chapter 18: Lockout/Tagout and Verification
Program: Lockout/Tagout and Verification
Revision Record: http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/pub3000/Pub3000Changes.html
Who needs to know about these requirements?
The requirements of Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) and Verification apply to:
- LBNL employees, participating guests, visitors, and subcontractors who need to perform LOTO
Whenever they a
- Performing any service, maintenance, or modification activity where they may be exposed to hazardous energy, including electrical, mechanical, chemical, pressure or vacuum, ionizing or nonionizing radiation, thermal, or other
An inadequate Lockout/Tagout and Verification procedure may lead to:
- Injury to personnel and/or the public
- Extra costs and delays
- Damage to Laboratory equipment and buildings
What you need to do before performing work:
- Define work/protocols.
- LOTO is required whenever service, maintenance, or modification is being performed on equipment or apparatus in which the unexpected energization or start-up of the equipment, or the release of stored energy, could cause injury to people or damage to equipment.
- All LOTO operations must be performed in accordance with Section 18.5 (Lockout/Tagout and Verification Procedures).
- Any work that involves subcontractor LOTO activity requires a permit. (See Section 18.13 (LBNL Subcontractors)).
LOTO-authorized employees have responsibility for recognizing the conditions of work that require LOTO, and assessing all of the hazardous energy sources. For more information, see Section 18.4.2 (LOTO-Authorized Employees).
Where to find out more:
Whom to contact for help: