Quick Start Guide
Chapter 2: EHSS Division Charter
Revision Record: http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/pub3000/Pub3000Changes.html
Who needs to know about these requirements?
The requirements of the EHSS Division Charter apply to all work done at Berkeley Lab.
The primary objective of the Environment, Health, Safety, and Security (EHSS) Division is to protect workers, the public, and our environment by providing efficient and effective professional and technical expertise, follow-on services, and integrated Environment, Safety & Health policy to Berkeley Lab's research and support programs.
What you need to do before performing work:
To achieve its ES&H objective, Berkeley Lab has adopted the principles and practices of the Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS).
- The EHSS Division supports and acts as a partner with line management as it meets direct responsibilities to ensure that protection of workers, the public, and the environment is integrated into the primary research and support functions of each division or unit.
- The EHSS Division supports and provides expertise directly to each Berkeley Lab worker who seeks ES&H advice and help, or who voices a concern. about environment, safety, or health issues.
- In carrying out its primary mission, the EHSS Division is committed to six basic objectives:
- Provide employees with a safe workplace.
- Design and operate facilities and research activities to minimize adverse impact on public health and the environment.
- Produce and use only materials that can be disposed of safely and that will minimize waste.
- Promptly communicate to affected persons the known hazards of laboratory activities and the related methods necessary for safety and health protection.
- Use available technology, engineered safeguards, and responsible science to mitigate all significant risks arising from laboratory research and related activities.
- Train and develop staff to meet the commitments to a safe workplace and minimal adverse impact on public health and the environment.
Where to find out more:
Whom to contact for help: