6.0 Assessment and Improvement
The fifth core function of Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requires that feedback and continuous improvement are incorporated into the work cycle for activities that involve work with biological materials or exposure to biological materials. This function is accomplished when supervisors, work leads, principal investigators (PIs), line management, Environment, Health, and Safety (EH&S), and others assess and continuously improve the biosafety of work conducted at LBNL.
See PUB-3000, Chapter 26, Section 26.9, for a description of how LBNL assessment and improvement processes are incorporated into work with biological materials and the Biosafety Program. The bulleted paragraphs below provide an overview of assessment and improvement processes and resources for supervisors, work leads, and PIs.
Supervisors, work leads, and PIs must:
- Conduct periodic Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) assessments of their operation as specified in the Division Self-Assessment Program, including assessment of the safety of tasks being performed, safety of the work area and equipment, training, and compliance with the Biosafety Work Authorization and standards.
- Participate in periodic biosafety assessments or other ES&H Technical Assurance Program (TAP) assessments of their operation when scheduled by EH&S.
- Continuously improve the biosafety of their work, including correcting deficiencies and tracking actions in the Corrective Action Tracking System (CATS) when required.
- Update their Biosafety Work Authorization with changes in personnel, training requirements, locations, and significant changes in the work.
Supervisors, work leads, and PIs may use the following key resources to assess the biosafety and compliance of their operations:
- The Biosafety Work Authorization for the operation.
- The training requirements and tracking feature for personnel listed on the work authorization in the Biosafety Authorization System (BAS).
- Laboratory Biosafety Level (BL) 1 and BL2 criteria listed in Appendix C of this manual.