Seismic Life-Safety, Modernization, And Replacement Of General Purpose Buildings, Phase 2
Buildings 74, 85, New GPL & Offsetting Demo
The Seismic Life-Safety, Modernization, And Replacement Of General Purpose Buildings, Phase 2 project is a $94.6M DOE line item project which includes:
- Modernization of Building 74 including upgrades to building systems and renovation of laboratory/office space.
- Construction of a new 43,000 gsf General Purpose Laboratory, which will be LEED Gold certified.
- Seismic upgrades and slope stabilization of Building 85.
- Demolition of seismically “very poor” and “poor” (University of California Seismic Rating) space to offset the new construction square footage.
Contact Jack Heffernan (x5993) for questions related to the new General Purpose Laboratory (Building 33) or Building 85 Slope Stabilization work; or Tim Galvin (x6396) for questions specific to the Building 74 Modernization.
Building 74 Modernization
The Building 74 modernization work followed the seismic upgrade work completed under LBNL's Seismic Phase 1 project. Building 74 was vacated prior to the Seismic Phase 1 upgrades and will not be re-occupied until the modernization work to be done under this project is completed.
Building 74 modernization work began in March 2010 and Substantial Completion was achieved in August 2012.
New General Purpose Laboratory (Building 33)
The new General Purpose Laboratory (GPL) construction began in July 2011 with a forecast completion end of 2013. A look-ahead schedule with upcoming project activities can be seen here.
Building 85 Slope Stabilization
The Building 85 seismic upgrades and slope stabilization construction began in May 2011 with a planned completion of Summer 2013. A look-ahead schedule with upcoming project activities can be seen here.
- Demolition of Buildings 25/25B was completed in May 2011.
- Demolition of Buildings 25A, 40, 41, 44, 44A, 44B, 52, and 52A was completed in September 2011.
- Demolition of Buildings 90B, 90F, and 90G was completed in November 2012.
- Old Town Buildings Demolition began in April 2011 and was completed in September 2011.
The demolition of Buildings 25, 40 and 52 eliminated some of the Lab's seismically unsafe structures. In addition, clearing the Building 25 site made way for the construction of the new General Purpose Laboratory.
The NEPA Final Environmental Assessment for the Seismic Phase 2B Project can be found here.
The Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR), in compliance with CEQA, for the Seismic Phase 2 Project can be found here.
Building 33 General Purpose Laboratory: Curtain wall installation has been completed but for West soffit overhang. MEP, framing, insulation, drywall and interior painting is underway on all levels. Elevator 2 is completed, and work has commenced on Elevator 1. IT installation underway on all floors. Ceiling grid being installed on floors 3 and 2. CUP utility installation is continuing. Metal deck over CUP steel has been installed. (Updated 04/19/13.)
Building 85 Slope Stabilization: The next phase of the B85 work has commenced with the drilling, rebar and concrete installation for the 5 piers. Concrete grade beam excavation and reinforcing is underway, with concrete installation following shortly. Upcoming work includes the installation of the pier tie-backs in May. (Updated 04/19/13.)
Website last updated 02/14/2013.