Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory masthead A-Z Index Berkeley Lab masthead U.S. Department of Energy logo Phone Book Careers Search
Operations masthead

Directorate/Operations
Safety Committee Meeting

March 26, 2009

 

X Attendees

Committee Member

Division/Department

X

Ira Janowitz

Ops/EH&S Liaison

X

Cheryl Fragiadakis

Dir/Tech Transfer/Patents

X

Dan Twohey

Operations Business Manager

X

Andrea Faizi

Dir/Internal Audit

X

Eileen Nasto

Ops/OCFO/Procurement

X

John Chernowski

Dir/Institutional Assurance

X

Anil More

Ops/OCFO

X

Elizabeth Reyes

Ops/Safety Coordinator

X

Nancy Saxer

OCFO/S.P.O.

X

Sharon Reineman

 Dir/Tech Transfer/Patents

X

Vera Potapenko

Ops/HR/CHRO

 

Jeffrey Fernandez

Ops/Senior Mgmt.

X

Anita Gursahani

Ops/COO

X

Christine Santiago

HR/ HR Asst

X

Jeff Miller

Public Affairs

 

 

 

Minutes Taker: Christine Santiago

 

Safety Statistics - Review

Betsy Reyes distributed copies of the Self Assessment Report regarding recordables & first aid cases for the first and second quarter.  There were seven recordables, five of which were ergonomic injuries and two slips and falls. There were 9 first aids cases, four of which were ergonomics and two slips and falls. Most of these injuries occurred during the move.

  • EH&S and the Ergonomics Department are working together to address people that have specials needs and those that do not. They’re also working on managing turnover positions (ie, student positions).
  • As a preventative measure, the IT Department is requiring their employees to use RSI Guard and is tracking its usage. They have also made it a requirement for employees to use two mouse devices. HR plans to adapt this practice and require their staff to use two mouse devices as well.
  • Remedy Interactive & RSI Guard should become an institutional requirement.
  • Supervisors should make the initiative to ask people if they’re feeling comfortable, especially for those who were affected by the move.

Action Items:

      Self Assessment Report

1.       Include injury sustained, dates and incidents in the report.

2.       Show annual comparables to illustrate improvement status.

3.       Associate injuries with what’s occurring at the lab (ie., move)

RSI Guard

1.       Vera will check to see if/when RSI was approved by CUE.

 

Safety Walkaround

Betsy distributed the latest draft version of the Safety Walkaround checklist for additional comments. 

Below are the suggestions:

1.       Publish the data of those that are delinquent.

2.       Provide resources for supervisors in the checklist.

3.       Create a version for the supervisors and a version for the employees with clear expectations.

Safety Walkaround (cont.)

4.       Employees should print their JHA and training profile in preparation of meeting with their supervisors.

5.       A division matrix is in progress. We may want to hold off on finalizing the checklist to include the findings from the matrix.

Action:

1.       Betsy will send out the Safety Walkaround checklist during April & May.

 

  • There will be a discussion in the operations leadership meeting regarding the consequences of supervisors not completing 100% of the checklist.

 

EH&S Self-Assessment Report - Performance Year 2008

Prior to this meeting, Betsy distributed copies of the LBNL Directorate / Operations Division: EH&S Self-Assessment Report - Performance Year 2008 for the committee to review and provide feedback.

Below are the suggestions:

1.       On page 22, under Goal: Improve our Safety Communications, goals should be developed and aligned with performance measures.

2.       It would be helpful to assess the recent move regarding safety.

3.       If Remedy Interactive & RSI Guard becomes an institutional requirement, they should be added as a policy to the EH&S Self-Assessment Report and the individual ISM. They should also be listed in the JHA.

4.       On page 22, under Goal: Improve our effectiveness, provide more details regarding investigations of first-aid cases.

Action

1.       Draft a recommendation to Jim Krupnick regarding Remedy Interactive & RSI Guard becoming an institutional requirement.

 

Side Note: In FY 2010, there will be a training course for supervisors on reporting injury & illness in SAAR .

 

Safety Website

The safety website may need to be revised to reflect the Safety Communication that’s written in the EH&S Self-Assessment Report.

Below are some considerations:

  1. Evaluate the effectiveness of the site.
  2. Establish purposes and roles.
  3. Include more ergonomics information.
  4. Create a way to keep people excited about safety. Keep in mind that people like to see people they know.
  5. Provide information on the site with a perspective of “what’s in it for me.”
  6. Analyze the site and get matrix data – who’s visiting, how long, and what pages.
  7. Perform a discovery phase to find out what information other safety websites provide and how they’re designed.

Action

  1. Schedule a meeting to review the safety website.

 

 

The next DIR/OPS Safety Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday April 29, 2009

Time: 1:00pm – 2:00pm   Location:  50B-4205

 


Summary of DIR/OPS Safety Committee Action Items:

 

Action Items

 

Owner

 

Status

 

Action Taken/Add’l Action(s)

 

1.

Self Assessment Report

- Include injury sustained, dates and incidents in the report.

- Show annual comparables to illustrate improvement status.

- Associate injuries with what’s occurring at the lab (ie., move)

 

 

Betsy

 

Open

 

 

2.

Check to see if/when RSI was approved by CUE.

 

 

Vera

 

Open

 

 

3.

Send out the Safety Walkaround checklist during April & May.

 

 

Betsy

 

Open

 

 

4.

Draft a recommendation to Jim Krupnick regarding Remedy Interactive & RSI Guard becoming an institutional requirement.

 

 

Betsy/Dan

 

Pending

 

 

5.

Schedule a meeting to review the safety website.

 

 

Jeff Miller

 

Open

 

 

Open/pending actions from previous meetings -

 

Action Items

 

Owner

 

Status

 

Action Taken/Add’l Action(s)

 

1.

Schedule a meeting with Laura Chen and the Ergonomics team to discuss Lab furniture standard.

 

 

Ira Janowitz

 

Closed

 

 

2.

Is this the furniture purchased for new CFO offices?

 

 

Ira Janowitz

 

Closed

 

 

4.

Safety Initiatives: Review current safety checklist for supervisors and send suggested questions for employees to Betsy

 

 

 

Committee Members

 

 

 

 

Pending

 

 

5.

Safety Initiatives: Develop safety orientation program for DIR/OPS new employees and guests.

 

 

Betsy Reyes

 

Open

 

6.

Safety Initiatives: Safety Buddy Program. More discussion needed to determine its viability.

 

 

Committee

 

Open

 

 

6.

Discuss sharing best practices and other information at next Division Safety Coordinator meeting.

 

 

Betsy Reyes

 

Open

 

7.

Send Dan Twohey ideas on improving safety.

 

 

Betsy Reyes

 

Open

 

9.

More discussion/analysis needed on the pedestrian sign by 65A.

 

 

Committee

 

Open

 

 

10.

 

Develop a Committee Charter

 

 

Dan Twohey

 

Open

 

 

 

 

 

Did you find what you were looking for?

yesnoComments

Top
Last updated: April 28, 2009