Berkeley Lab LaunchPad: Where Startups Take Off
Before embarking on a startup, take advantage of Berkeley Lab’s LaunchPad, a collection of commercialization services that help launch startup companies based on Lab technology.
- One-on-One Startup Advice from our resident former venture capitalist, Bill Shelander. With more than 20 years experience in seeing what works and what doesn't, Bill can help you determine if a startup based on your technology could succeed or if a license to established companies would be a better commercialization choice. He can also brainstorm future innovations industry would like to see.
- Collaborative Meetings and Follow Up with experienced Business Development staff within Berkeley Lab Tech Transfer to
- evaluate markets and competitors
- target primary and alternative applications
- highlight pros and cons of different business models
- calculate likely profitability
- prioritize development milestones.
- Coaching to prepare you to pitch your startup idea to investors and others
- Connection to UC-based QB3 and Skydeck incubators through which qualifying startups are connected with no-cost legal and financial services and expertise on startups in the biotech and life sciences arenas
- Entrepreneurial Resources to keep you in the loop on what’s available in the Bay Area including business plan competitions, funding source information, a Bay Area Directory of Incubators and online sources of startup assistance and expertise.
- Other Commercialization Services, including
- Innovation Grants, an internal program to fund further technological development of promising inventions
- Commercialization Analysis, a tool to identify a technology's pathway to being licensed and reaching the market
- Technology Showcases, opportunities to speak directly to VCs, entrepreneurs and companies interested in new innovations
- Tech Transfer Education, information about many aspects of moving Lab technology and software to the market
For more information, contact Berkley Lab TTIPM staff at 510-486-6467 or firstname.lastname@example.org.