Summer 2014 Program Dates: 2 Jun – 8 Aug 2014
Congratulations! We are happy that you will be joining us at the Berkeley Lab. Here are some things you need to know:
We have a "late start" date, for participants who can't start on the first day due to academic reasons. This later date is only for participants whose school's term ends later than the beginning of the program. Your orientation date will be included in your confirmation letter.
- All Workforce Development & Education internship participants are processed through the LBNL Guest Affiliate Registry. You will receive an email from LBNL Affiliate Registration to start the Guest Affiliate Registration process. Please go to the link in the email and complete the form ASAP or within 5 working days of date of email.
- Complete Workforce Development & Education Administrative Information Guide
- Contact mentor
- Discuss specifics of your project and get to know some of your mentor’s academic and/or professional background
- Request reading material, online research etc., that will help you prepare for your research project
- Secure housing
- Make travel arrangements
- Complete the Travel To/From LBNL Section on the Administrative Information Guide.
- Once we receive the Administrative Information Guide, we will contact you to arrange for your arrival to the Laboratory. If we do not receive the Administrative Information Guide within 5 working days of the date of this letter, you may be released from the program to make room for another participant.
- Workforce Development & Education will arrange travel to the Bay Area for participants who live farther than 50 miles from LBNL.
- Workforce Development & Education will send you an email with a link to your flight itinerary placed on hold for your approval. You will have 24 hours to respond with any changes if applicable. If Workforce Development & Education does not hear from you within 24 hours, your flight will be ticketed. Once the ticket is booked, any changes that are made will be your financial responsibility unless approved by Workforce Development & Education.
- Workforce Development & Education will email ticket confirmation with travel itinerary.
- Workforce Development & Education will reimburse up to $50 for baggage fees for summer term and $100 for fall and spring participants traveling by air.
- Workforce Development & Education will reimburse up to $80 for transportation to and from airport to Berkeley, CA for participants traveling by air.
- Your proof of car insurance (if driving and parking at the Lab, limited to faculty only) - Note: Parking passes can be acquired during badging at the Site Access/Badge Office (Bldg. 65)
- Complete and MAIL the following documents within 14 days of the date of the Offer Letter:
- Complete W-9 form. For your protection, please do not email. Stipends will not be processed without a completed W-9.
- LBNL does not issue W2 or 1099 forms for Workforce Development & Education participants. LBNL is not allowed to give tax advice, please consult a tax professional.
- Mail above documents and official transcripts (VFP students only) to:
Workforce Development & Education
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road Mail Stop 7R0222
Berkeley, CA 94720
Please do not attempt to complete the following until you have obtained your LBNL LDAP password. You will receive a letter with instructions on how to obtain your LBNL LDAP user name, password, and other pertinent information.
Once you receive your LDAP, Workforce Development & Education will begin sending email to your LBNL email address NOT your personal email. Please be sure to start checking it frequently for correspondence. You can access your LBNL email address and LBNL Google calendar by going to gmail.lbl.gov and logging in with your LDAP username and password.
- Complete Job Hazards Analysis (JHA)
Please note that you will not be permitted to begin work at LBNL without completing the JHA and the subsequent training courses.
Please call your mentor immediately to go through the JHA with you. Once it is completed, Workforce Development & Education will change the work lead. The mentor will then sign it and the participant will have to counter sign it.
After the participant countersigns the JHA, a new list of training courses is required. This list can only be obtained once the JHA is taken.
- Complete General Employee Radiation Training (GERT)
- Complete EHS-10 Introduction to Safety at the Lab
- Begin completing initial Assignments and Deliverables
Please see Undergraduate Internship Programs Calendar (SULI, CCI, BLUR, VFP Student) for times and locations of orientation and events.