BLAST: Berkeley Lab Afterschool Science and Technology
BLAST is an after school program for middle schools that aligns to the CA Science Standards
- participate in group hands-on activities
- interact with scientists
- learn about careers in science, engineering and technology
A team from the Lab will come for a two-hour afterschool visit to your site. Exact time TBA according to school schedule. All programs must end by 5:30 PM.
- This program is for sixth – eighth grade school classes in public schools from the Berkeley, Oakland and West Contra Costa districts.
- Our program can accommodate up to 24 students and requires that at least one teacher be present for the entire time period.
Key Dates Spring
- Visit requests accepted: 1-Sept-2011
- Visits begin: 4-Oct-2011
- Visits end: 31-May-2012
Process for requesting a visit
- Programs are scheduled beginning in September each year
- Site visits are scheduled for Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- We must have at least three weeks’ notice to schedule a site visit
Program Content/ Expectations
- 6th grade Waves relating to earthquakes
- 6th grade Cool Roofs relating to heat transfer
- 7th Grade Optics relating to the human eye
- 8th grade Nuclear Science relating to parts of an atom and radiation
After the program, each school must complete the provided student and teacher evaluation forms and send to CSEE.