Contract Assurance Council
The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Contract Assurance Council advises the Vice President (VP) for Laboratory Management in the University of California Office of the President to ensure 1) the effective governance of the Laboratory and 2) that performance of work under the LBNL contract meets the terms of the contract as well as the bylaws and standing orders of the University of California.
The Council is expected to advise the VP in the following areas:
- Adequacy of the Laboratory’s contract assurance system
- Adequacy of Laboratory policies, systems, procedures, and practices to protect DOE and UC assets
- Adequacy of performance measures, metrics and results
- Efficiency and effectiveness of management systems
- Management initiatives and improvements
- Areas which will require third-party assessments
- Resources required from UC to assist the Laboratory in meeting its mission and requirements
The VP, as a University officer with line management responsibility, acts on the advice of the Contract Assurance Council and works with the Department of Energy and LBNL management to ensure compliance with the LBNL contract. The VP communicates with the DOE Berkeley Site Office to provide notification of significant issues and solicit input. The VP also coordinates and ensures the availability of University resources to assist the Laboratory Director in fulfilling the Laboratory mission.
The UC representatives on the Council provide their expertise, and that of their offices in the UC Office of the President to assist and support the effective and efficient operation of the Laboratory.
Membership & Terms
The LBNL Contract Assurance Council includes an appropriate mix of senior officers of the University and external non-UC members who are not UC employees. The members of the Council are appointed by the VP. The VP serves as the Council Chair.
The UC Office of the President members or their designees are the Senior Vice President for Compliance and Audit; the General Counsel and Vice President for Legal Affairs; the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies; the Associate Vice President for Finance; the UC Academic Council Representative to the LBNL Advisory Board; the Vice President for Human Resources; the Laboratory Management Office (LMO) Associate Vice President for Laboratory Operations; the LMO Associate Vice President for Laboratory Programs; the Associate Vice President for Federal Governmental Relations; the LMO Deputy Associate Vice President for Laboratory Operations; and the Director for National Media Communications. The UC representatives serve on the Council without fixed terms of appointment.
The Council also includes up to four distinguished external members who provide independent expertise related to administrative, operational, or programmatic responsibilities of the Laboratory. The external members are appointed for four-year terms, which may be renewed at the discretion of the VP.
The Council will meet monthly to provide advice to the VP in areas within the Council’s responsibilities. It will advise the VP on management issues that need Laboratory attention, the status of progress in addressing these issues, and recommendations on how best to work with the management of the Laboratory to ensure effective management of the Laboratory. Senior Laboratory management representatives will attend the meetings to engage directly with the Council on management matters. The Council Chair will develop the agenda for the monthly meetings. Agenda items may include priority areas of interest or concern to the Council, Laboratory management response to areas of concern, or information sharing on areas of interest. Formal minutes will be prepared for the monthly meetings and approved by the Council. Action items resulting from the meetings will be assigned and tracked until the action has been completed or the matter has been resolved.
Contract Assurance Council Members
- VP Lab Management, Mara (CAC Chair)
- General Counsel, Robinson
- Academic Senate Chair, Jacob
- SVP and Chief Compliance and Audit Officer, Vacca
- VP Research and Graduate Studies, Beckwith
- AVP and Systemwide Controller, Arrivas
- AVP Laboratory Programs, McCallen
- AVAP University Affairs-Federal Government Relations, Falle
- Associate Director University Affairs-Federal Government Relations, Harrington
- VP HR, Duckett
- Dave Leary, Former Associate Director, LLNL
- Don Kinzer, Former Partner, Price-Waterhouse-Coopers
Contract Assurance Council Staff
- Charles Miskelley, Executive Director, Business and Finance
- Nicole Rantz, Associate Director Contracts Management
- Ann Willoughby, Director, Laboratory Governance & Integration
- Brandi Marotta, Facility Security Officer
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Representatives
- Glenn Kubiak, Chief Operations Officer
- Kim Williams, Chief Financial Officer
- Howard Hatayama, Director Office of Institutional Assurance