Performance Review Discussion Workshop for Supervisors
To see upcoming course date(s) and register, go to Employee Self-Service, click on Training Enrollment, then check Mgmt/Supervisor Skill Develop.
This two-hour workshop is designed to help you prepare for and conduct the annual performance review discussion, which formalizes and summarizes the performance feedback you’ve provided to your employee throughout the year.
While there should be no surprises in this discussion, it can still be challenging to deliver, especially if you and your employee disagree on how he or she performed or areas for development. Understanding and applying effective communication techniques during this conversation can result in stronger working relationships and improved performance over time.
Because this workshop focuses on the year-end conversation, it’s offered in July and August.
- To clarify the elements of effective annual performance review discussions
- To provide tools and techniques that help you conduct these discussions positively and confidently
- To give you practice in applying what you’ve learned
This workshop is relevant for scientific and operations supervisors. Note that BLI also offers a Performance Review Discussion Workshop for Employees.
During this two-hour workshop, you’ll:
- Analyze video recordings of annual performance review conversations, identifying effective and ineffective communication skills used by the supervisor.
- Learn techniques for delivering annual review performance feedback that is open and honest and diffuses anxiety.
- Develop a plan to apply what you’ve learned.
The instructor is Kathy Anttila, a Berkeley Lab Learning Institute staff member and workshop co-developer.