Understanding Differences for Better Team Performance
Part I: Cultural Differences
To see upcoming course date(s) and register, go to Employee Self-Service, click on Training Enrollment, then check Employee Skill Development.
Research has shown that diverse teams are more effective, creative, and productive than homogenous teams. However, to obtain the best results, diverse team members need to understand and respect each others' differences and identify unifying bonds that enable the team to progress toward its goals. BLI offers two three-hour workshops on this topic, designed to help all staff explore ways to enhance team interactions and results. The two sessions are independent; participants can attend one or both workshops, in any sequence.
Part I focuses on cultural differences. In this session, you will:
- Examine how diverse cultural backgrounds affect communication at work
- Learn tools and techniques for interacting and responding to cultural differences
- Analyze cultural differences on your own team and determine ways to create team identity, resolve conflicts and build appreciation for diversity
All scientific and operations staff members are welcome to attend this workshop, including both supervisors and employees.
What cultural differences do you notice on your work team? How can your team take advantage of its diversity to enhance results? This workshop will introduce you to a variety of tools to enhance communication among diverse team members.
Course activities include:
- Reviewing specific cultural differences among the top ten countries represented at Berkeley Lab
- Participating in team exercises to practice collaboration techniques
- Creating an action plan for your team
Go here for information on Part II of this workshop, which focuses on personality styles.
The instructor is Kathy Anttila, a Berkeley Lab Learning Institute staff member and workshop co-developer.