Pronouncing U.S. English
To see upcoming course date(s) and register, go to Employee Self-Service, click on Training Enrollment, then check Employee Skills Development.
- Identify and learn how to overcome your key U.S. English pronunciation challenges
- Learn techniques to vary loudness, pitch, rate and rhythm
- Hear and pronounce a variety of new U.S. English sounds
- Develop a plan for continued learning after the class
All scientific and operations staff members whose native language is not English are welcome to attend. You must obtain approval and a Project ID number from your supervisor, since the $575 cost will be charged back to your Division.
This nine-week course will help you improve your U.S. English pronunication through individual assessment, goal setting, learning and practice.
During this course, you will:
- Set personal goals based on an initial assessment of your pronunciation challenges
- Learn how to achieve these goals through video feedback, computer-assisted learning and written training materials
- Work in small groups with skilled trainers to practice pitch, articulation, rate, and rhythm
Class size is limited to a maximum of 12 students so that the instructors can focus on your individual needs.
This course will be conducted by Sherrin Loyd, a speech-language pathologist and executive speech/voice coach with more than 25 years of experience. Sherrin has trained non-native speakers in pronouncing U.S. English at UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, California College of the Arts, California State University, East Bay, Washington Mutual Bank, Shell Oil, and other Bay Area institutions. Sherrin will be assisted by additional, highly experienced speech coaches.