New Employee Training Requirements
Welcome to Berkeley Lab! We value you and the talents that you bring to our workplace. The training listed below will help you get oriented and off to the right start. You are expected to complete the courses during your first 30 days at the Laboratory, unless otherwise noted in the course description.
New Employee Briefing (mandatory)
The New Employee Briefing is a 20 minute online course that introduces new employees to the Laboratory, how it’s organized, where things are, and where to find information needed to work here. Links to employee services are also provided. After viewing the material, you will be asked to enter your employee ID as confirmation that you completed the briefing.
Trafficking Victims Protection is a short online course that ensures Lab employees understand their obligations to comply with federal laws enacted to combat trafficking in persons.
Berkeley Lab’s commitment to safety begins in the planning stages and follows projects through the execution and review phases, giving all employees the knowledge and tools needed to perform their jobs safely and efficiently. The following mandatory training modules present safety issues that affect the entire Lab community:
- General Employee Radiological Training (GERT) - online course that must be taken prior to getting your LBNL badge.
- Job Hazards Analysis (JHA) - online questionnaire that must be taken within 7 days. Your supervisor will guide you through this process.
- Introduction to Environment, Safety and Health (EH&S 10) - online course.
In addition, there may be other safety training specific to your job that you will be required to take.
In many cases, mandatory safety training needs to be completed before performing work.
If you have any questions about the safety training enrollment process, please contact the Training Coordinator for the Environmental Health and Safety Training Group at x2228.
What You Need to Know about Cyber Security at Berkeley Lab - Security 201 is a 10-20 minute online course designed to inform you of your basic security responsibilities as an employee of LBNL, and to provide you with actions you can take to protect your computer systems. To receive credit for the course, you must complete the training and view the course credit confirmation screen.
Workplace Substance Abuse Training
Workplace Substance Abuse Training covers the negative effects of substance abuse in the workplace, the Laboratory's substance abuse policy, and best practices the Laboratory has implemented to keep our community safe.
- Supervisor Responsibilities at Berkeley Lab (BLI0117) – online course to be completed within first two months as a new supervisor.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (AB1825) - this course is a State of California requirement for new supervisors. The UC Office of the President (UCOP) will notify you by email when to register and complete the training.