New Employee Training Requirements
Welcome to Berkeley Lab! We value you and the talents that you bring to our workplace. The training listed below will help you get oriented and off to the right start. You are expected to complete the courses during your first 30 days at the Laboratory, unless otherwise noted in the course description.
New Employee Briefing (mandatory)
The New Employee Briefing is a 20 minute online course that introduces new employees to the Laboratory, how it’s organized, where things are, and where to find information needed to work here. Links to employee services are also provided. After viewing the material, you will be asked to enter your employee ID as confirmation that you completed the briefing.
Trafficking Victims Protection is a short online course that ensures Lab employees understand their obligations to comply with federal laws enacted to combat trafficking in persons.
There are two separate benefits orientation sessions:
- New Employee Benefits Orientation (BLI0702)
- New Postdoctoral Fellow Benefits Orientation (BLI0703)
Before you enroll in one of these classes, verify your benefit level eligibility. You can find this information in your employment letter or by contacting your HR Center Representative. If you are a new employee and eligible for benefits, please pre-enroll in one of the classes during your Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE); 31-days from your date of hire or eligibility for benefits. The orientations have been customized to review the health, welfare and retirement benefit plans that you are eligible for based on your employment appointment.
- To view the orientation schedule and enroll, go to Employee Self Service. Select from the menu option “Training Enrollment”, click on “All Courses”, then select "BLI0702 New Employee Benefits" or "BLI0703 New Postdoc Benefits" based on your employee classification.
If you have any questions, please contact the Benefits Department at x6403 or email@example.com.
* Please remember to bring your benefits materials package with you to the orientation.
Berkeley Lab’s commitment to safety begins in the planning stages and follows projects through the execution and review phases, giving all employees the knowledge and tools needed to perform their jobs safely and efficiently. The following mandatory training modules present safety issues that affect the entire Lab community:
- General Employee Radiological Training (GERT) - online course that must be taken prior to getting your LBNL badge.
- Job Hazards Analysis (JHA) - online questionnaire that must be taken within 7 days. Your supervisor will guide you through this process.
- Introduction to Environment, Safety and Health (EH&S 10) - online course.
In addition, there may be other safety training specific to your job that you will be required to take.
In many cases, mandatory safety training needs to be completed before performing work.
If you have any questions about the safety training enrollment process, please contact the Training Coordinator for the Environmental Health and Safety Training Group at x2228.
What You Need to Know about Cyber Security at Berkeley Lab - Security 201 is a 10-20 minute online course designed to inform you of your basic security responsibilities as an employee of LBNL, and to provide you with actions you can take to protect your computer systems. To receive credit for the course, you must complete the training and view the course credit confirmation screen.
- Supervisor Responsibilities at Berkeley Lab (BLI0117) – online course to be completed within first two months as a new supervisor.
- Supervisor Scenario Workshop – HR Issues (BLI0122) – 3 hour classroom workshop, must be completed within first six months as a new supervisor.
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (AB1825) - this course is a State of California requirement for new supervisors. The UC Office of the President (UCOP) will notify you by email when to register and complete the training.